Chuckatuck

Chuckatuck

N.H. Byrd’s Store

N.H. Byrd’s Store

The ultimate location of this store would be the second store as you entered Chuckatuck coming from Suffolk.  Mr. Byrd’s first store was just beyond the grist mill on the left hand side going toward Smithfield and was primarily a gas station built by...

Glover’s Store at Gloversville

This store was built in the 1930s by Mr. C.W. Glover, founder of Gloversville. The store was constructed right after the depression and closed in the early 1940s after about ten years of operation.  It was a general store and acted as an auxiliary post ...
Gwaltney’s Store

Gwaltney’s Store

This store was next at the intersection of Routes 10 and 125.  We believe the Peck/Brittain/Ramsey/Pinner/Jones/G.L. Gwaltney store, built in the early 1800s is the oldest working store on record.  A circa 1900 tin picture of this store h...
C.C. Johnson’s Store

C.C. Johnson’s Store

The chronology for the C. C. Johnson store goes something like this. It is believed that it was built by E.C. Ramsey (date unknown) and run by him for a period of time.  In 1891 Samuel C. Webb and Susan M. Webb, his wife, deeded the ¼ acre lot to M. W...
J.J. Johnson’s Store

J.J. Johnson’s Store

This store was just down the road (beginning of what we called the ridge) yet not far from the  intersection where Gwaltney’s, C.C. Johnson’s, Spady’s, Owen’s and Moore’s stores were located.  The original J.J. Johnson store was a small wood frame build...
Lone Star Cement Corporation

Lone Star Cement Corporation

MARL Researched and written by Drex Bradshaw Before we start a discussion regarding the Lone Star Cement Corporation it would be prudent to explain what the primary ingredients in cement are.  Cement is defined by Webster as:  Any of various c...

Willie Saunders’ Store (Andy Gump’s)

This was a store built for W.G. Saunders, Jr.’s father, Willie Saunders, whose nickname was “Andy Gump”, in his later years after moving from Everets.  It was built on the site where Jimmy’s Pizza and Subs and Dr. Thomas’s office are now.  It was a ge...

Pinner / Owen’s Store

This was a relatively small one room store with limited goods and services and was in and out of operation until circa 1960.  There was an apartment over the store where the owners lived as was the case in many of the stores. The Owen’s store was originally ow...
The "Little" Pitt Store

The "Little" Pitt Store

This store to the left of Johnson’s Store was built in the very early 1900s for Charles Henry Pitt by Jesse Frank Johnson, a general contractor.  Mr. Pitt’s daughter would later marry Mr. Johnson’s son.  Mr. Pitt sold the contents of the store i...
Wilson Spady’s Store

Wilson Spady’s Store

This store had a varied beginning.  “Uncle” Matt Crumpler, great uncle of Frank Spady, Jr. ran the butcher shop across from the grist mill and needed a place to do his night paper work.  He rented the Owen’s store (which was adjacent to the Pinner home no...