This store now known as Gwaltney’s store is still standing at the crossroads of Chuckatuck. Local historians think there was a trading post/stage coach stop in the early 1700’s. The current building was constructed circa early 1800’s. For more information on the stores of Chuckatuck go to Stores information.
First postmaster for Chuckatuck was John Davis Day in 1826. For more information click on Post offices.
Wesley Chapel Church was built in 1850 having been a splinter group from the Oakland area. For more information click on churches.
In 1874 J.R. Kirk made application for a Post Office at Everets. First of several in the area.
In 1901 Nansemond River Brick and Tile Co. was incorporated. In its hay day it produced 12 million bricks annually.
In 1909 Captain Will Matthews of Chuckatuck and Captain John Quincy Adams II of Crittenden started a ferry service from Chuckatuck to Newport News, Norfolk, and Portsmouth.
On November 12, 1921 electric service was provided by Bernard W. Godwin from his Ice Plant in Chuckatuck. This system was adjacent to the Chuckatuck Grist Mill and operated by water from the adjacent lake.
The timeline of Chuckatuck history is an actual picture of events as they occurred during a certain period of time.
A vertical timeline for one subject and time frame is used here. Comments and photos sometimes supplement dates and headings. While Chuckatuck history is generally featured, significant world or national events are also noted for their relevance.