Reid’s Ferry

Reid’s Ferry

Butler’s Store

In 1959 Raymond Butler built his own store across the highway from Gayle’s Store.  He and his wife, Florence Gayle Butler, ran the store together while raising their two sons, Raymond, Jr. and John Robert.  Raymond and Florence eventually moved into an ...
Brickyard Store

Brickyard Store

This general store was on the east side of Route 10 where the land went down to a point along the Nansemond River.  It was known as the Brickyard Store, also better known then as the Reid’s Ferry Corporation store.  It was a gas station and general sto...
Gayle’s Store

Gayle’s Store

James Elwood Gayle built a store in 1928 between the current home of Raymond Butler, Jr. and the former home of John Gayle.  Mr. Gayle ran the store at this location for 4-5 years.  In 1932/1933 he moved the store to its present location after r...