The Christian Home School was built originally on two acres of land located in the eastern part of Isle of Wight County between Longview and Everets. The Isle of Wight County School Board purchased the land from B. P. Chapman in 1921 for $400. Part of the funding for the school came from Julius Rosenwald, a former Sears, Roebuck and Company president, who contributed $4.3 million to build more than 4,000 schools across the South for black students. Black communities raised another $4.7 million in matching funds to build the schools. A 1932 addition was made to the original Christian Home School after community members raised money of their own and petitioned the county for money to expand the school. The strong support of the Christian Home community made certain that the educational opportunities would be available for the area youth. Two of the principals that served here were Mr. Elgin Lowe and Mr. Tate. This addition was moved to the historic district of Smithfield in 2004 and has been renovated and opened as a museum. The Schoolhouse Museum which opened in 2007 is an excellent example of an early one room school. Additional information about the school, including oral interviews of former students, is available at www.theschoolhousemuseum.com. Credit – The Schoolhouse Museum.