Everets Post Office

Everets Post Office

Everets Post OfficeThe earliest record of a post office at Everets is 1802, however the location is unknown.  In 1875 John J. Kirk, owner of “The Kirk Company”, was appointed as the postmaster in his store across from the old home place, now the residence of Bruce Kirk.  By 1890 when Mr. Kirk was reappointed as postmaster the location of the post office had moved to a store located across the creek from his store.  Mr. Kirk was postmaster for 29 years and in 1904 he passed his duties to William G. Saunders, then to Edward Wagner in 1907 and finally to Edward’s brother William Kasper “Kas” Wagner in 1914.  The post office was officially discontinued in January 1915.  Under the Stores section of this book there is additional information about the post office which is not repeated here. We found a hand written note by J.J. Kirk on the disposition of mail which is repeated here for your reading pleasure:  Mail leaving Norfolk for Suffolk, Virginian Pilot (Newspaper) forwarded on N&W R.R. Freight train except on Sundays.  Forwarded on Sout (Southern) R.R. passenger train on Sundays.  All other mail arriving in Norfolk destined to Suffolk is forwarded to Suffolk on first passenger train leaving Norfolk for Suffolk regardless of name (of Railroad).(use pic. of one of the locations)