The Whitehead house was built around 1858 on what is now Oliver Drive. It was sold out of the Whitehead family in 1923. After changing hands several times it was bought in 1942 by Herbert C. Hall of the “Anchorage”. It passed down to his grandson, Cornelius Hall Duff. The square frame house with an English basement has a side passage on the west end. Two massive chimneys are located on the east end of the house.
From Historic Isle of Wight County by Helen Haverty King 2007