The Pope house that is currently standing was built c1869. John Henry Powell, father of Annie Powell (married Leroy Pope, Sr.), rented the farm before the Popes bought it. The kitchen and dining room on the Pope farm were separate from main house. The house was renovated in 1949 when plumbing, kitchen, etc. were added. Leroy Pope related that he and his brother James are fifth generation owners. James lives in the old home place on Chuckatuck Creek. This is possibly the oldest home in the Sandy Bottom area. There were also tenant homes on the property that might have been homes for slaves.