Research by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, using tax records, dates the earliest story-and-a-half portion of the house (and the kitchen) to 1821-1822. An addition of two-and-a half stories was added in the 1830s causing one end chimney to be relocated to the side of the new portion, to allow for passage – on the first floor only – between the two sections. There are two stepped-shoulder chimneys in the 1:3 bond typical of the period. The interior is finished in the plain late-federal manner with paneled wainscoting, nine-over-nine windows, wide board floors and two stairways, one an interior winder.
The outbuildings remain largely intact with their original features, minus some beams and bricks that were re-purposed over the years. One original outbuilding – a small stilted dairy or milk house – was lost to a storm in 1990.
From Betty Stagg