Dr. Bernard E. Glover was born on April 27, 1933 in the Oakland area of Chuckatuck, Va. He is the son of Albert C. Glover and Vinnie Glover. He attended Oakland Elementary School and graduated from East Suffolk High School in 1953. During high school he dropped out for two years and worked at Harris Dental Supply Company in Norfolk, Va. It was during that time that he acquired an interest in dentistry, but quickly realized that he needed to complete high school. After graduating in 1953 he served two years in the U.S. Army and then attended Morgan State College in Baltimore, Md. He majored in biology and graduated in 1959. He then attended Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry in Nashville, Tennessee and graduated in 1963 with a Doctor of Dental Surgery degree followed by a one year Dental Internship at St. Elizabeth Hospital in Washington, D.C. He then moved back to Suffolk and started his dental practice at 384 East Washington Street. Around 1972 he purchased and remodeled an EXXON gas station at 811 East Washington Street and converted it into a dental office. He practiced at that location until 2004 when he retired after practicing general dentistry for 40 years. He was a member of the Tidewater Dental Association, the Virginia Dental Association, the American Dental Association, the National Dental Association, the Old Dominion Society and the John F. McGriff Dental Society.