First 15 minutes are about her family.
Her great grandfather and his brother are buried at St Johns. My geat grandfather name was Thomas. One is buried as a Wilkerson and wilkenson.
Wilbur Mckenny taught in Nansemond Country in the early 20’s. Seems all of these records are in Richmond.
Her daddy was the youngest. The family on her dad’s side came from England. There was a Wilkerson Tobacco wharf somewhere between the Raines farm and the Bridge. There were three wharf’s. Constance, Wilkerson, and Town Point. The original house on Ferry Point farm was burned during the Civil War.
Her grandfather Robert Lafayette Wilkerson was a cabin boy on a lumber boat on the Nansemond. Owned a store in Hobson known as Lukes store.
Her grandfather went backrupt in the silver area of 1890. He paid all but two only because he could not find them. He died in 1917 having been in the oyster business for a long time.
10:00 His brother George Wilkerson lived in Crittenden.
Her grandmother was a Milteer related to Horace. Her name was Ophelia.
Both of her grandparents are buried at Wesley Chapel.
Her granddaddy built the old home place in 1905. First house was built on Longview shores. He bought the farm in three different pieces. One was Longview, It ultimately ended up in Younks family but her granddaddy moved there in 1900. The Younks bought it and developed it as it is today.
There was no school in Crittenden however at the corner of the road in the woods where the Thomas girl lives was a small school house.
All of the Children went to college. Girls to Blackstone and not sure about the boys. In 1928 her father moved back and farmed with his father.
19:20 Talks about the three farms.
29:00 Talks about the line being well below Sandy Bottom.
The Rippeys originally lived on the Ferry Point Farm before they moved to their final home.
She went to Chuckatuck even though she was closer to Crittenden. However her father knew the Crittenden school was going to be closed.
She talks about the Woolford House and their Cottage (Middle house) as well as the Rippey house.
Marion’s mother came to Chuckatuck to teach 7th graders who were not advancing very rapidly. This was in 1928-1931. She roomed at the Moore house. Dr Eley was on the school board. Peggy Chapman also roomed with Mrs. Gilliam.
41:15 Talks about better to have gone away to boarding school. She was refering to the education that she got.
In 1928 Nansemond County was one of the hightest paid teacher. However in the following years the Superintendent was more interested in how much money he could turn back in to the county.
52:00 Talks about the pier and their boats and who used them.