The post office at Reid’s Ferry was established in June 1904. The first appointed postmaster was Alfred V. Sturgeon followed by E. Cleveland Staylor in January 1911. The post office was discontinued in January 1915. The building that housed this post office was the Nansemond River Brick and Tile Company store which supported the local area as well as those employees of the brick company. Additional information concerning this store may be found in the Stores section of this book.